Monday, January 14, 2008

There's Something About Mary ...

I'm not Catholic. And I don't hail, Mary. But I do think that her name is worth mentioning in the context of this blog. Mary, mother of grace, I believe she has been called. And yet, her name means sorrow. I have found her story a very interesting one throughout the years. There have been films made about her & her son that depict the young Hebrew woman as a quiet and mysterious soul. Not much is known about her apart from the Miracle she birthed and yet she was chosen among others? Why? What was it about Mary?

I believe that like Mary, many of us have fallen in the catagory of "saint" who has been chosen among others; not on the basis of perfection, holiness or status ... but merely by saying what Mary said, "May it be to me as you have said." It hasn't been stated nearly enough, that Mary wasn't perfect. (Please don't stone me.) But she did believe that what was told her, however, extraordinary, was DO-ABLE, not because of her own ability but by His (The Lord's) ability. I love that! There is so much freedom (as scripture says, "it is for FREEDOM that Christ has set us free" ) in knowing that the promise of God is not disabled by my inability. I love worshipping the Lord as El Shaddai, God Almighty, All sufficient because it takes the pressure to perform off of me and puts it (the pressure) on Him, who is ABLE to bear ALL things.

No comments: