Thursday, January 10, 2008

Word of the Day: Anathematize

anathematize /uh-NATH-uh-muh-tyze/ (v.) curse, denounce.

I decided that I would increase my vocabulary as a part of my New Year's resolution by introducing or re-introducing a new word a day. Okay so I'm only 10 days behind schedule. Perhaps I should have resolved to doing things without procrastinating. Hey, what can I say, I'm a work in progress.

Speaking of progress, I've made some, hee-hee-hee, regarding crochet. Ah, yes, I started and restarted the same scarf at least 12 times! I became so discouraged by my inability to double crochet, hook and loop ... chain 31 ... etc. that I vowed never to touch the craft ever in life. Though it sounds extreme. I am extremely hard on myself. And the harder on myself I get, the more discouraged I become and thus, the more prone I am to throwing in the proverbial towel. New Year's resolution #2 ... or is it #3. (Are you keeping count?) Anyway, one day after visiting one of my favorite craft sites http://www.futuregirl.com/ , I became inspired all over again. "I can do this," I said to myself. "Why not?" So, I started another scarf, but this time I added two tones! I had never been taught this technique nor had I ever tried it, but I felt confident. Mmmm ... it was so refreshing to get back in the sticks and just go for it! I am 1/2 way done with my very first two tone scarf. Yeah!

New Year's resolution #4: Start to Finish. While it may seem like a small thing, follow through means so much. From the slightest instruction to the impossible dream ... the difference is a matter of faith. The task I face could really be difficult, no kidding; but my reality doesn't have to be marked by fear - fear of failure is a BIG one for me. Oh, LAWD, don't let me fail. Don't let me be an embarrassment to myself and to my generations. Don't let my mama anathematize me and damn me to hell for I have failed! No matter the task, the opposition or the odds stacked up against you so high that they tower like Babel (babble) ... you can make it ... Just don't quit! Don't quit! Start to finish! Run the race, you've been running and don't quit!

I have more to say on the subject but I will reserve that for another post!

No comments: