Friday, April 19, 2013

Forgive Everyone

Forgiveness is for everyone. I ran across a pin on Pinterest that simply stated, “Forgive Everyone.” The short statement composed of two words spoke so much to my heart and soul. It is a reminder to me, one, of the forgiveness that I have received in Christ and two of the lifestyle of forgiveness that I desire to live in. It has been said that “Forgiveness isn't for the other person; but for you.” And to a certain extinct I can agree with that sentiment. But there is a grand difference between me forgiving someone who has hurt or offended me for the purpose of me being freed; and the much more difficult exercise of forgiving a person who has hurt or offended me because I recognize that their woundedness caused them to wound me. No longer do I look through the eyes of judgment, but through the eyes of love. The unfailing love that has the bible says “covers a multitude of sins.” When we forgive everyone, father, mother, sister, brother, neighbor, friend or foe…we begin to see the pain in their eyes opposed to the offense in our hearts, and our motivation to forgive is not to free ourselves, but much rather to free them.

I think of God. He didn’t forgive me of my sins to free himself. He wasn’t bound. I was. His forgiveness gave me liberty. His love covered my sins, my wrongs, my weakness, my sickness…It is so beautiful really. The depths of God’s love and the power that He has, as Master and Lord, to forgive everyone.

Let’s pray, “Father, we thank you today for giving us a heart like you and helping us to see through the eyes of love. Help us to forgive those who have hurt us and bring with it the restoration of joy and peace. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.”

No comments: